Intel Itanium

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 14:51:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 04:37:57PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> Interesting press release from Oracle.  They are no longer supporting
> Itanium.  What I found odd though is they claim Intel management
> encouraged them to dump it.  How viable will it be to sustain it with
> limited software "ecosystem" to borrow a misused word by tech
> journalist.
>
> http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/346696

I didn't see anywhere that intel encouraged it.  Rather intel didn't
seem to be pushing it anymore, and certainly the constant delays in
delivering new chips is a bad sign.

> From a bit of googling, it seem only HP unix support it now.  That
> kind of making it hard to ever be profitable.  And if Intel do axe it
> eventually, what happen to HP Unix considering it seem to only run on
> Itanium at the moment?

It was only ever profitable to HP (assuming it ever was for them).

It took years for HP to get all the key features ported to itanium for
HP-UX driving their customers nuts in the process.  I think some key
features might still be missing.  It has been a train wreck the whole
way through.

Anyhow, redhat dropped it, microsoft dropped it, and now oracle dropped
it.  About time.  Good riddance.

I really hope this is the last time intel tries to use VLIW for a general
purpose CPU.  Every attempt they have made over the years has been a
failure for them.  You would think they would learn.  Seems once every
decade they have to try it again.

--
Len Sorensen