Intel Itanium

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 18:42:08 UTC 2011

Lennart

On 24 March 2011 10:51, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 04:37:57PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
>> Interesting press release from Oracle.  They are no longer supporting
>> Itanium.  What I found odd though is they claim Intel management
>> encouraged them to dump it.  How viable will it be to sustain it with
>> limited software "ecosystem" to borrow a misused word by tech
>> journalist.
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/346696
>
> I didn't see anywhere that intel encouraged it.  Rather intel didn't
> seem to be pushing it anymore, and certainly the constant delays in
> delivering new chips is a bad sign.

Hmm, this quote to me sound like encouragement - or at least
discouraging further support

"Intel management made it clear that their strategic focus is on their
x86 microprocessor and that Itanium was nearing the end of its life."

That said, I agree they never mentioned it explicitly, but do not
expect them to ever come out more clear than that

Regards,

William