Anyone interested in an Ubuntu Hour?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 16:43:11 UTC 2011

| From: Sadiq Saif <sadiq-KzRxrKfdH+/c+919tysfdA at public.gmane.org>

| I wanted to organize an Ubuntu Hour here in the city of Toronto.

I have mixed reactions to this:

- more power to you: the more promotion the better!

- (but I'm moderately allergic to promotion.)

- why Ubuntu and not Linux and FLOSS in general?

- Why Ubuntu and not Ubuntu Linux?  (Talk about nit picking!)

- what is an Ubuntu Hour?  The wiki page doesn't make that at all
  clear beyond "We are trying to promote Ubuntu to the general
  public".

- TLUG should also be reaching out to the general public but we don't
  seem to manage that (I'm at least as guilty as anyone else).
  I'm glad someone is trying.

- are there lessons about promotion to be learned from Ubuntu Hours?

- Apple has been the most successful in promotion.  Is Ubuntu hoping
  to copy some of the Apple enthusiasm?

| I am also looking for a decent venue for such an event, someone suggested to
| me about Linux Caffe <http://linuxcaffe.ca/>, any others?

The Linux Caffe seems like a great place...

| P.S - There is also a Ubuntu Natty Release party here in Toronto coming up
| -  http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/781/detail/

... so why hold this in Alio Lounge which (I would guess) is much less
supportive of our communities?

Fedora has held release parties at the Linux Caffe.  I would hope that
this isn't a reason against.

Perhaps the Caffe is too small -- how big is a Ubuntu release party
likely to get?

Perhaps the Caffe is too hippie and not elegant, off the marketting
message.  I confess to not being a likely target and hence not
understanding the various campaigns.

PS: I use Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS.  I'm not anti-Ubuntu.  (I've had
a couple of bad reactions to Shuttleworth initiatives.)