USB causes kernel crashes...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 20 15:51:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:57:20AM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> Had my first crash with 2.6.39-r1 and udev 1.71, triggered by plugging in my
> HTC Dream to recharge. The system would not boot (kernel panic) with the USB
> external drives attached, but boots fine with them unattached. Crashes again
> if I try to simply power on the external drives, but if I let them power up
> all the way and then attach them, they seem to work (one crash in five tests).
> Once attached properly, they seem to run fine. So the bug is *not* cured, or
> not entirely cured, with this configuration of software.

What kind of system is this?  What chipset?

I have this vague recollection of a specific intel chipset that was
known to crash when iphones and similar were connected and it took a
while before any fixes came out for it.

> << long drawn-out sigh >>
>
> It reminds me of the days of using Another OS, when having the whole computer
> randomly stop working was just one of the hazards of computing. I've come to
> think of any reasonably-designed OS as being essentially crash-proof. Indeed,
> it's a bit of a surprise to realize this is not the typical user experience...

It is hard to test defective hardware handling if you don't have defective
hardware to test with.

--
Len Sorensen