USB causes kernel crashes...

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 20 19:08:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:51:46AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> What kind of system is this?  What chipset?
>
> I have this vague recollection of a specific intel chipset that was
> known to crash when iphones and similar were connected and it took a
> while before any fixes came out for it.

AMD Phenom Black Quad-Core, on a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard; the
chipset is ATI all the way through. It's attached to an nVidia GeForce
7300 GS, an Asus Sonar Essence STX, a Realtek RTL8111/8168B ethernet
chip, four SATA-II drives, one IDE drive, and three USB-connected external
hard drives. It runs gentoo with kernel 2.6.39-r1 and udev-1.71, and is
otherwise up-to-date with stable gentoo. No problems whatsoever on kernel
2.6.37-r4; all the crashes etc. are for kernels after that point.

The hardware may be defective, but none of the defects were apparent before
the last round of kernel/udev upgrades, and given that users across a wide
variety of Linux distributions (gentoo/SuSE/Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/etc.) and
a wide variety of hardware (intel/AMD), I'm inclined to suspect a software
bug down deep in the internals somewhere.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42