USB causes kernel crashes...

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 19 15:57:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:52:11PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 05:59:02PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
>
> Upgraded to udev 1.71, which seems to run with 2.6.39-r1 with no problems so far.
> Since the preceding configurations crashed either on startup or as soon as any USB
> device was plugged in, it seems probable that, whatever the bug, it's been cured by
> the latest iterations of these pieces of software.

Had my first crash with 2.6.39-r1 and udev 1.71, triggered by plugging in my
HTC Dream to recharge. The system would not boot (kernel panic) with the USB
external drives attached, but boots fine with them unattached. Crashes again
if I try to simply power on the external drives, but if I let them power up
all the way and then attach them, they seem to work (one crash in five tests).
Once attached properly, they seem to run fine. So the bug is *not* cured, or
not entirely cured, with this configuration of software.

<< long drawn-out sigh >>

It reminds me of the days of using Another OS, when having the whole computer
randomly stop working was just one of the hazards of computing. I've come to
think of any reasonably-designed OS as being essentially crash-proof. Indeed,
it's a bit of a surprise to realize this is not the typical user experience...

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/