satellite internet

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 29 21:42:36 UTC 2011

Hey gang,

Anybody used any satellite internet services?  I'm trying to help a
friend in cottage country who is stuck on dial up.

He has a Bell analog line which gives local calling to North Bay, but
they cannot put DSL onto it as it is too far from the central office,
and/or the wires are too old.

The satellite options I've looked into seem to be all around $60 or $70
per month.  Any better options?

Also, I'm figuring the latency would be too much to run VoIP over that
type of link.  Anybody have experience in that direction?

Thanks in advance.

Martin