satellite internet

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 21:24:15 UTC 2011

On 11-01-29 16:42 , marthter wrote:

> Anybody used any satellite internet services?  I'm trying to help a
> friend in cottage country who is stuck on dial up.

It might be better to look for a local rural wireless broadband.
Companies like Barrett (or Xplorenet, their brand name) use unlicensed
6GHz MW links to cross country, then have local repeaters down to
line-of-sight antennae at each house. Works quite well.

A bit slower than DSL (800k IIRC; the best I can get on DSL in eastern
Toronto is 1.5M) but doesn't have the latency issues that satellite can
have. Only major problem is that, being unlicensed and thus not
registered on Industry Canada's Spectrum database, a large obstruction
can inadvertently be built in the way of the microwave link and the ISP
has to change their infrastructure. Licensed links get priority over
construction.

 Stewart