Fwd: [happenlink] Linux skills are hot in an improving IT hiring front

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 29 05:41:08 UTC 2011

I subscribe to a few jobs RSS feeds, since there's always someone
looking for something. I also have to hire people myself sometimes, so
it's good to have a feel of the market.

The trends I'm seeing so far are:

- Android & iOS development;
- Virtual server cluster administration (not only Amazon, but VPSs in general);
- Front-end (UI/UX) web development (this has been hot for a while actually);
- Web development with Ruby, Python and (to a lesser extent) PHP for
consumer-facing apps;
- Web development in boring old Java and .Net for enterprise apps
(booooring... but still pays fairly well).

I'd say that the single hottest one right now is mobile development.
Have you guys seen the number of Android tablets and phones that will
be launched this year? There are some pretty cool and cheap gadgets on
the way, and everybody will want to put their apps on them. While iOS
is still the leading platform for mobile apps right now, the barriers
to entry for Android are much lower - and if you know your way around
Linux and Java, you're halfway there already.

- FZ