vlc in Debian Testing

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 20:36:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 03:30:27PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> This morning I ran an apt-get dist-upgrade, and vlc (and its friends)
> got uninstalled because of a borked dependency.  This is fine, and
> happens from time to time in Debian - usually you just reinstall the
> lost program and it comes in with all its new requirements.
>
> Today however, I've been getting this (reformatted for width):

> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not going to be
>        installed
>        Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not
>        going to be installed
>        Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not
>        going to be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> --
>
> It appears that vlc-nox depends on a package that is now unintstallable,
> causing me to lose my video player.
>
> I have two thoughts about this.  One, ask the list it anyone else is
> having this problem, and if they can solve it.  The other is to change
> my "testing" status to "unstable", install vlc and then change it back.
> Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Testing is rather susseptible to this when transitions are in progress.
It is one of the places unstable often works better.

It will usually resolve itself within a couple of days whenever it happens.

You can try doing:
apt-get install vlc-nox, and see why it says that isn't going to be
installed.

--
Len Sorensen