vlc in Debian Testing

Thu Feb 24 20:30:27 UTC 2011

This morning I ran an apt-get dist-upgrade, and vlc (and its friends)
got uninstalled because of a borked dependency.  This is fine, and
happens from time to time in Debian - usually you just reinstall the
lost program and it comes in with all its new requirements.

Today however, I've been getting this (reformatted for width):

or been moved out of Incoming.

 vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not going to be
       installed
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not
       going to be installed
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.3-1squeeze2) but it is not
       going to be installed
E: Broken packages

--

It appears that vlc-nox depends on a package that is now unintstallable,
causing me to lose my video player.

I have two thoughts about this.  One, ask the list it anyone else is
having this problem, and if they can solve it.  The other is to change
my "testing" status to "unstable", install vlc and then change it back.
Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William