PC Routers

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 17:44:47 UTC 2011

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I don't really like using USB dongles as ethernet interfaces.  This
> isn't tested, but I think USB overhead is expensive and the USB 2.x
> transfer rate isn't up to 1G ethernet.

You certainly wouldn't want to try that between gigabit LAN segments, but
a large number of router deployments involve a low-bandwidth Internet
uplink, WAN, or wireless connection on one side, leaving a small box and
a slow interface being not an unconscionable bottleneck in the situation.

As a sysadmin, I'd put the most reliable interface on the side facing
where I'm sitting, so that I have a chance of debugging issues on the
other side.

--
Anthony de Boer