PC Routers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 06:51:58 UTC 2011

| From: Anthony de Boer <adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > I don't really like using USB dongles as ethernet interfaces.
|
| You certainly wouldn't want to try that between gigabit LAN segments, but
| a large number of router deployments involve a low-bandwidth Internet
| uplink, WAN, or wireless connection on one side, leaving a small box and
| a slow interface being not an unconscionable bottleneck in the situation.

Yes.

Another approach I've wondered about is using a commodity consumer
router + OpenWRT as a multiplexor/demultiplexor for a little PC.  The little PC
would use the vlan capability of the router to direct packets out any
of the (likely 4) LAN ports on the router.  (I think that we may have
chatted about this.)

Still another thing that MIGHT work is
  <http://www.bvm-store.com/ProductDetail.asp?fdProductId=548>
replacing a Mini PCI Express wireless card in many tiny PCs.
Dual 1G ports!

It isn't at all clear that this one would work with anything but a
Commell motherboard.

Here's another one.  It has only a single port:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-e-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller-Card-/320640000491>

MiniPCI Express ethernet doesn't seem common.