PC Routers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 9 06:12:17 UTC 2011

| From: Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I would suggest a Wyse VX0 terminal, or any of these:
| http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/
| You can get them for ~$30 on Ebay, they have 1Ghz VIA x86 processors and
| USB 2.0.
| They run Linux quite well, are low on power and with a IDE based flash
| drive, possibilities are quite endless.

Cute.

UniChrome video interfaces are not well supported in Linux.

Like many cute boxes, this only has one ethernet port.  You'd have to
use an USB ethernet interface to extend it.

I don't really like using USB dongles as ethernet interfaces.  This
isn't tested, but I think USB overhead is expensive and the USB 2.x
transfer rate isn't up to 1G ethernet.

I wish there were USB 3.x 1G ethernet dongles.

(I just bought some cute boxes with only one ethernet interface.)