Android phone repair

Michael Hill mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 29 16:19:05 UTC 2011

Since we're talking about Android phones...

A few months ago I got tired of the protective case on my rooted HTC
Desire, and took it off.  I was cycling to work one day soon after and
heard a sound like I'd run over a strap of metal; I circled back to
investigate and found my phone divided into its three component parts,
front, back and battery.  There was a small scratch in one corner of
the case, but no damage to the screen.  I re-assembled it and
continued using it with *no* noticeable effects.  (I put the
protective case back on.)

On Friday, the phone slipped out of my hands in my apartment from a
height of *possibly* half a metre and landed flat on its back *in* the
protective case on the laminate floor; the life had gone out of the
screen.  If I press with varying degrees of pressure (sometimes a lot)
with a knuckle from one hand against the middle of the battery,
*through* the case, contact is made somewhere inside, I get a screen
that works and can type with the other hand.  (This is very
inconvenient.)  I wadded up a piece of paper and stuck it inside the
case against the battery, but this didn't work for long.

There are videos on YouTube about disassembling my particular model...
does this sound like something that can be fixed by doing that?  Is it
something with which someone here has experience?  If I haven't
already voided the warranty by installing CyanogenMod, I'm pretty sure
it's been more than a year since I bought it.  I've also replaced a
cooling fan in my ThinkPad, so I'm not afraid of taking the thing
apart.

Mike