Where to get a smartphone *NOT* under contract?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 08:04:54 UTC 2011

  After doing some research, I've narrowed down the field to a few
models.  They all meet these criteria...

* slightly larger than the standard "dinky-phones".  I'm 6 feet tall,
  and I don't have the hands of a 12-year-old girl.

* half-decent camera and camcorders.  Yes, I know they're not DSLRs,
  but they're easier to lug around.  Plus many events explicitly allow
  phone-cams, but not "professional cameras".

* CyanogenMod support ( see http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices )

  I'm mostly interested in Wifi, and may not bother connecting to a
phone provider.  (I already have a "POTS" candybar cellphone that I got
in 2006.)  The interesting models are...

1st choice HTC Sprint EVO

2nd tier choices
HTC Desire HD (Inspire)
T-Mobile G2x (aka LG Optimus 2x)

  How difficult are they to get in Canada?  Pacific Mall?