Where to get a smartphone *NOT* under contract?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 13:02:19 UTC 2011

On 18 August 2011 04:04, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  After doing some research, I've narrowed down the field to a few
> models.  They all meet these criteria...
>
> * slightly larger than the standard "dinky-phones".  I'm 6 feet tall,
>  and I don't have the hands of a 12-year-old girl.
>
> * half-decent camera and camcorders.  Yes, I know they're not DSLRs,
>  but they're easier to lug around.  Plus many events explicitly allow
>  phone-cams, but not "professional cameras".
>
> * CyanogenMod support ( see http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices )
>
>  I'm mostly interested in Wifi, and may not bother connecting to a
> phone provider.  (I already have a "POTS" candybar cellphone that I got
> in 2006.)  The interesting models are...
>
> 1st choice HTC Sprint EVO
>
> 2nd tier choices
> ================
> HTC Desire HD (Inspire)
> T-Mobile G2x (aka LG Optimus 2x)
>
>  How difficult are they to get in Canada?  Pacific Mall?

"Pacific Mall" was my first thought (it's where my brother bought his
unlocked smartphone), but my second was Newegg:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502089

They don't seem to have the Evo, but that's the Desire.  NCIX (another
reliable Canadian source of electronics and computer gear) also seems
to carry phones:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1216

Good luck.

--