cheap Viewsonic gTablet

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 5 16:49:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The gTablet's hardware looks very good.  Everyone whines about the
> firmware and recommend that you replace it.  I have no experience with it

It's apparently easy to install replacement firmware, which is a good sign:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Viewsonic_G_Tablet:_Full_Update_Guide

Some devices involve heavy "jumping through burning hoops of fire," in
comparison.

> Things I've noted:
>
> - capacitive touch screen (like iPad and Nook Color).  Everyone says that
>  this is important.  I know that my iPad responds to touch much more
>  fluidly than my Nokia N800 or my Nuvi GPS unit.  Downside: stylus isn't
>  useful; interface must account for reduced precision (or is it accuracy?
>  I don't know).

Agree.  Capacitive touch seems to be a pretty big deal.

> - I like 10.1" tablets.  7" ones are more portable.  For me, 10" is a win
>  only if you get more pixels.

That's pretty fair.