cheap Viewsonic gTablet

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 5 16:08:46 UTC 2011

Woot today (for the second time) sold out their gTablets at US$285.
<http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4418501>

So TigerDirect.ca's offer of a gTablet for C$299.97 looks pretty good.
But they might only sell it "mail order" and might charge too much for
shipping (I don't know).
<http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7212231&sku=V18-0020&cm_sp=Right%20Nav-_-DOD-_-V18-0020>

The gTablet's hardware looks very good.  Everyone whines about the
firmware and recommend that you replace it.  I have no experience with it

(I have an iPad so I can wait patiently for something better.  The fact
that Google is not releasing the source for Android 3.0 for a while and is
constraining licensed distributors concerns me.)

Things I've noted:

- capacitive touch screen (like iPad and Nook Color).  Everyone says that
  this is important.  I know that my iPad responds to touch much more
  fluidly than my Nokia N800 or my Nuvi GPS unit.  Downside: stylus isn't
  useful; interface must account for reduced precision (or is it accuracy?
  I don't know).

- I like the iPad's resolution (1024x768) better than the gTablet's
  1024x600.  I like the iPad's aspect ratio better too.

- I like 10.1" tablets.  7" ones are more portable.  For me, 10" is a win
  only if you get more pixels.

- specs: <http://www.viewsonic.com/products/gtablet.htm>

- more connections than an iPad1 (camera, USB slave and host, MicroSD,
  HDMI? (may require a dock).

- better CPU than my iPad (same as iPad2)

- refurb iPad 1's were sold by the Apple store for not too much more than
  this.  A better deal, but not for Linux reasons.  I haven't seen stock
  for some time.