cheap Viewsonic gTablet

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 5 17:25:21 UTC 2011

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Woot today (for the second time) sold out their gTablets at US$285.
> <http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4418501>
>
> So TigerDirect.ca's offer of a gTablet for C$299.97 looks pretty good.
> But they might only sell it "mail order" and might charge too much for
> shipping (I don't know).
> <http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7212231&sku=V18-0020&cm_sp=Right%20Nav-_-DOD-_-V18-0020>

I bought this tablet  a week ago at the Markham store (at $399. but have
already received a $60 price guarantee credit - and I'll go back again
for the $40 ;-) )

So far I'm not planning on rooting the device even though I would really
like the access to Google's Android Market - many of the apps on the
native gMarket seem somewhat primitive or at least premature.

The screen is quite responsive - but no where near that of my Nexus One.

A big plus is the battery life.  Recharging is very quick but cannot be
done via USB - both I guess, because the DC input from the adapter is 12v.

A major flaw / inconvenience is the screen viewing angle - almost 90
degrees !!!  - takes a lot of awkward positioning and getting used to.

BTW, going to Tiger for the $60 price guarantee cost me $125. because I
just needed to buy a Velocity Cruz 7" tablet :-)
Price was good at $170.  but the unit is quite limited and not worth any
more.  I wanted to use it mostly as a Mythtv remote control (mythmote)
and to access mythweb.

The screen (though capacitive and multi touch) is VERY sluggish and hard
to use.   Originally the wi-fi(n) worked OK but not great.  Now after a
firmware update it does not work at all - I will probably have to
exchange it.  Tech support so far has been very good.

I wonder what my next warranty/guarantee trip to Tiger will cost me ;-) :-)

Herb Richter...