ivtv initialization error, ir control of Rogers set-top box

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 20 16:26:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:49:24PM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
> I am getting really frustrated trying to set up my mythtv world.
>
> I had been using mythtv for several years with an *old* Fedora
> installation.  Happy, but the machine was too big and too much of a
> power hog, so I've gone to a mini-itx Foxconn board with an Atom 410 on
> Debian Lenny.
>
> I still haven't got the X doing the 1920x1200 mode that my monitor
> wants, but it does other modes, so I'm moving on.
>
> I have mythtv installed, but when it boots up ivtv mostly doesn't
> initialize properly.  The driver calls request_irq but gets back a -16
> code, which means from the man page:
> 	EBUSY - There exists a registered handler for the requested interrupt.
> but /proc/interrupts only lists about 10 numbered interrupts, I don't
> know which one it wants, and I don't know if I can specify an alternate.
> ivtv is the last module loaded, so possibly if I could move it earlier in
> the boot sequence it would work better.
>
> I say *molstly* doesn't initialize properly, becase the *REALLY* weird
> thing is that it has initialized properly a couple of times!  But I
> can't characterize when.
>
> I've googled extensively but there is nothing newer than about 2007.
>
> Also, I have digital (not HD) cable, so I'm going to connect the s-video
> to the PVR-350, so I need to find a card so I can tell the set-top box to
> change channels.  Any guidance on where to find this (especially
> locally), and/or how to set it up is appreciated.

Not sure about ir blasters.  There should be a number of supported
choices out there, I just haven't ever needed one.

I finally got around to connecting my HD-PVR to my SA4250HD yesterday,
but of course still change channels by firewire (previously I recorded
by firewire too, but got fed up with rogers randomly deciding I should
no longer be able to record a channel).  So far that works well, although
there are occational audio glitches near the start of a recording,
although only for a couple of seconds.  Perhaps analog audio would work
better, but when I have a fiber audio link I should be able to use it.
I think the HD-PVR even has an ir blaster included, although as you can
understand, I have no need for it.

--
Len Sorensen