DVI cable terminology [was Re:TV Tuner in reverse?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 4 20:08:37 UTC 2010

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| HDMI doesn't do dual link.  So you can't get dual link DVI from HDMI.

It seems you are right.  I was mislead by assuming sanity.  So HDMI
was born limited to 1920x1200 -- how very silly.  Sounds like a raison
d'etre for Display Port.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI> says that the HDMI 1.3 standard
(2006 June) doubled the frequency limit and thus allows for 2560x1600.
I think that you need "high speed" Category 2 cables.  Since that is
without being dual link, converting that to dual link DVI seems
non-trivial.

I was also mislead by things like this:
  <http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4543375&sku=A225-1384>
Notice this talks about dual link on the DVI side.  The point of that
now escapes me.

| The only thing that requires dual link is the 30" 2560x1600 displays
| (and other equally high displays.  I think there is a 2560x1440 27"
| as well).  1920x1200 and lower does not need or use dual link DVI.

Right.  I had thought that I might try running my 30" with one of my
new Revos.  It is currently being run by a c2q6600 box that takes a
lot of electricity (see my earlier posts for power measurements).

| > Oh, and another thing.  I haven't been able to find out if the Revo
| > supports dual link output.
|
| Unless it has a DVI connector, it won't.  HDMI type B has dual link
| support, but no product uses it. It is a 29pin HDMI connector.  The normal
| HDMI type A is 19 pin.

Apparently the Ion chipset supports dual link.  Too bad that the
capability is lost in the Revo.
  <http://www.nvidia.com/object/picoatom_specifications.html>
  <http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2009/acer/aspire/AspireR3610/AspireR3610sp2.shtml>