DVI cable terminology [was Re:TV Tuner in reverse?]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 7 18:26:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 04:08:37PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> It seems you are right.  I was mislead by assuming sanity.  So HDMI
> was born limited to 1920x1200 -- how very silly.  Sounds like a raison
> d'etre for Display Port.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI> says that the HDMI 1.3 standard
> (2006 June) doubled the frequency limit and thus allows for 2560x1600.
> I think that you need "high speed" Category 2 cables.  Since that is
> without being dual link, converting that to dual link DVI seems
> non-trivial.

Right.  DVI is a dead standard (it will never be updated) so it can't
be updated to the new HDMI speeds.

Now if you have a video card with native HDMI that supports the newer
speeds, and a display supporting the newer HDMI speeds, then you can
do more than 1920x1200 on HDMI.  But for standard HDMI the assumption
pretty much is that 1920x1200p60 is it.

> I was also mislead by things like this:
>   <http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4543375&sku=A225-1384>
> Notice this talks about dual link on the DVI side.  The point of that
> now escapes me.

It says it supports dual link cables.  It doesn't promise dual link
support.

> Right.  I had thought that I might try running my 30" with one of my
> new Revos.  It is currently being run by a c2q6600 box that takes a
> lot of electricity (see my earlier posts for power measurements).

The Dell 3008WFP does NOT support more than 1920x1080 on HDMI, and for
those dealing with HDCP, it doesn't support that on dual link DVI either,
so again 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 maybe) max for that.  Not sure if
displayport does better.

> Apparently the Ion chipset supports dual link.  Too bad that the
> capability is lost in the Revo.
>   <http://www.nvidia.com/object/picoatom_specifications.html>
>   <http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2009/acer/aspire/AspireR3610/AspireR3610sp2.shtml>

The Ion appears to also be HDMI 1.3, so it can do 7.1 LPCM audio.
Not sure if that also means it could do more than 1920x1200 HDMI if
the display device supports it (which of course as I said above, a Dell
3008WFP certainly does not).

--
Len Sorensen