DVI cable terminology [was Re:TV Tuner in reverse?]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 3 20:01:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 02:26:27PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> That turns out to be from an Etobicoke store.
>
> The title on the auction is:
>   25' FOOT (7.6M) New Extention Male-Male DVI 24+1 Cable
>
> What does 24+1 mean in this?

DVI-D dual link has 24 pins and 1 horizontal bar.  DVI-D single link
has 18 pins and 1 horizontal bar.

The 4 pins around the bar or plus are for analog (VGA) signals.  Not of
any interest to a monitor with DVI input unless it is a CRT.

> Perhaps it is relevant that DVI has 24 regular pins and 4 or 5 "C"
> pins.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface>
>
> I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my
> Acer Revo HDMI output to a DVI input.  One of these DVI inputs
> requires "dual link".  I'm trying to figure out how to tell if a cable
> is dual link.

HDMI doesn't do dual link.  So you can't get dual link DVI from HDMI.

The only thing that requires dual link is the 30" 2560x1600 displays
(and other equally high displays.  I think there is a 2560x1440 27"
as well).  1920x1200 and lower does not need or use dual link DVI.

Now since HDMI will be from a device that does at most 1920x1080 (or
maybe 1920x1200, but unlikely), then single link is all you require.
The monitor may be capable of more, but it isn't going to get that from
an HDMI source.

> One example is this cable:
> <http://www.bewawa.com/6-ft-dvi-18-1-2-to-hdmi-cable.html>
>
> The sparse description is: "6 FT DVI (18+1+2) TO HDMI CABLE".
> What does thoe 18+1+2 mean?  Guess: this must be only single link.

Certainly only single link.  But as I said, that's expected.

> Oh, and another thing.  I haven't been able to find out if the Revo
> supports dual link output.

Unless it has a DVI connector, it won't.  HDMI type B has dual link
support, but no product uses it. It is a 29pin HDMI connector.  The normal
HDMI type A is 19 pin.

--
Len Sorensen