DVI cable terminology [was Re:TV Tuner in reverse?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 3 18:26:27 UTC 2010

| From: ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>
| Subject: Re: [TLUG]: TV Tuner in reverse?

| http://cgi.ebay.com/25-FOOT-7-6M-New-Extention-Male-Male-DVI-24-1-Cable-/290414609448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item439e0f4428#ht_2422wt_1139
|
| might help if i posted the link to what the "these" were  :)

That turns out to be from an Etobicoke store.

The title on the auction is:
  25' FOOT (7.6M) New Extention Male-Male DVI 24+1 Cable

What does 24+1 mean in this?

Perhaps it is relevant that DVI has 24 regular pins and 4 or 5 "C"
pins.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface>

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my
Acer Revo HDMI output to a DVI input.  One of these DVI inputs
requires "dual link".  I'm trying to figure out how to tell if a cable
is dual link.

One example is this cable:
<http://www.bewawa.com/6-ft-dvi-18-1-2-to-hdmi-cable.html>

The sparse description is: "6 FT DVI (18+1+2) TO HDMI CABLE".
What does thoe 18+1+2 mean?  Guess: this must be only single link.

Oh, and another thing.  I haven't been able to find out if the Revo
supports dual link output.