TV Tuner in reverse?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 2 20:50:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 01:11:21PM -0700, William Park wrote:
> I didn't know HDMI cables ran that long.  Probably, got confused with VGA
> cables.
> Yes, for my immediate need, 5-10m HDMI cable will be fine.  I'll look into
> HDMI-to-ethernet option, though.
>
> I don't know why modulators are so expensive.  If they can sell ATSC/QAM usb
> tuner for $40, I would think ATSC/QAM modulator could be in the same ball park.

They make millions of tuner/decoders for consumer devices (TVs,PVRs, etc).
They probably make modulators by the thousands.  Mainly needed by TV
broadcasters and cable companies.  Totally different production
quantities.  The modulator probably also has to be much more precise
since it is generating signals, not receiving.

--
Len Sorensen