[OT] Public Transit

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 17:34:37 UTC 2010

| From: phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org

| GM were instrumental in getting streetcars replaced with busses in many
| American cities. It's interesting to speculate why that didn't happen
| entirely in Toronto: farsightedness or inertia?

We lost the Radial Line about that time.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yonge_Railways>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_radial_lines>

My understanding is that it was unable to pay for itself.  But then
little public transit does.

Two of its stops are within walking distance of where I am.  The Glen
Echo Loop (which I used before the subway extended this far and before
I lived here) was replaced by a car dealer and then our Loblaws.