[OT] Public Transit

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 18:16:05 UTC 2010

On 10-10-27 01:36 PM, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I think we're talking about two different periods of history. I'm
> referring to something much earlier.
> Indeed, in the 1920s automaker General Motors (GM) began a covert campaign
> to undermine the popular rail-based public transit systems that were
> ubiquitous in and around the country’s bustling urban areas. At the time,
> only one in 10 Americans owned cars and most people traveled by trolley
> and streetcar.
>
> Within three decades, GM, with help from Standard Oil, Firestone Tire,
> Mack Truck and Phillips Petroleum, succeeded in decimating the nation’s
> trolley systems, while seeing to the creation of the federal highway
> system and the ensuing dominance of the automobile as America’s preferred
> mode of transport.

I see from the internets that Hawker Siddley bought Canadian Car &
Foundry which was producing streetcars in Montreal around 1921 for
many Canadian markets, including Toronto.  What their lobbying power
might have been, I can't find.  In the 1920s these would have been the
large and small Peter Witt cars.  The Preston Car Company and Ottawa
Car Company were also building them.

CC&F had been building buses in Fort William, until Hawker Sidley
transferred rail production there, so Bombardier's streetcars from
Thunder Bay have a long history.

There's a good book, _Internal Combustion_ by Edwin Black, detailing
the development of the modern automobile.  Late on it covers the
GM/Firestone/Standard Oil takeover.  It starts with the Ford/Edison
electric automobiles, industrial shenanigans, and a patent troll.  Fun.

	Mel.