today is the day

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 17:27:19 UTC 2010

On 26 October 2010 10:43, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:27:16PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > I live in Mississauga, and commute 100km per day.  So, I may be biased,
> > but I'm utterly opposed to Public Transit.  If city wants to assist
> > people with transportation, then city can run "public car rental".
>
> Well I will just consider you crazy.  Plenty of people are really awful
> drivers and should not be allowed to operate cars.  As for commuting
> 100km per day, that's silly too.  I think my 40km commute total per day
> is already too long.
>
> Mississauga is also a seriously bad case of urban sprawl making any
> decent transit system nearly impossible to implement.

It can work for the various concentrations of housing that are going up
around a couple of the main shopping malls (ie, Square 1, Erin Mills Town
Centre and Meadowvale Town Centre).

There are plans there for quite a few dedicated bus laneways -- eventually
becoming LRT rights-of-way -- in Peel and York Region that are beyond Ford's
ability to kill.

Who knows? The fastest transit from the airport to Scarborough could end up
being along Highway 7 if Toronto politicians can't agree on a vision for
transit going forward...

- Evan