Gartner predictions

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 13:24:26 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 9:04 AM, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Gartner make many predictions about the future of the IT industry but if
> you try to find information on how successful previous predictions were
> information is sorely limited.
>
> Well I just found an article from 2002 which goes into Gartner's
> predictions for 2010.  You be the judge of how close they were to
> reality :)
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1054116.html

"By 2011, processors will clock at 150 GHz, and 6 terabytes of storage
will be common"

I think they didn't see the move towards miniaturization, energy
efficiency and price decreases... particularly in handheld devices.  We
probably saw the same level of innovation, but in a different direction.

"4. Successful firms in strong economy lay off millions"

Strangely true but for the wrong reasons.

Not bad predictions.  I think they really missed the shift in demand and
market price-points brought about through cell phones and set-top-box
devices.

-Mike