Gartner predictions

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 14:39:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Mike Kallies wrote:

> "By 2011, processors will clock at 150 GHz, and 6 terabytes of storage
> will be common"

I was pondering the cpu speed.  IIRC the fact that the speeds of existing
cpu architectures were going to hit a limit due to heat was well
understood by 2002.

The storage and ram predictions weren't far off but the trend has been
fairly linear for decades so I don't think I can award them much kudos :)

> "4. Successful firms in strong economy lay off millions"
>
> Strangely true but for the wrong reasons.

Exactly :)  In my first draft of the original post I spelt that out but
then removed it.  They were saying that it would be caused by automation.
Every time someone automates part of my job (as a sysadmin) I end up with
more to do, and it is more interesting work.  As the complexity of the
systems we run increases so will the work force.

> Not bad predictions.  I think they really missed the shift in demand and

You're being more kind than I am about their predictions :)

> market price-points brought about through cell phones and set-top-box
> devices.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Rob