Adding xorg from unstable to existing stable - Debian

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 11 15:17:12 UTC 2010

On 10/10/2010 11:14 PM, Dave Mason wrote:
> Hi all Debian experts,
>
> I have determined the problem with my graphics is that the xorg drivers
> in lenny (Debian stable) are version 1.4.2 from Xorg and the drivers in
> 1.4.2 don't come close to supporting my hardware but I know for sure
> that the 2.12.0 drivers (which are in unstable) definitely do.
>
> The page: http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel.html
> says that 2.12.0 is in unstable and 2.3.2-2+lenny8 is in stable.  2.3.2
> might solve my problem, but I just did an apt-get update and upgrade,
> but it didn't go near updating xorg (it only did 6 packages).
>
> How would I get that 2.3.2-2+lenny8 version to see if it works?  If not,
> how can I install a subset of packages from unstable without moving
> completely to unstable?

I wouldn't go from Lenny directly to Sid, take a look at Xorg 1.7.7 in
Squeeze (testing) first, especially since Squeeze has been frozen for a
while in preparation for release as stable.

Also, can you post the output of "dpkg --status
xserver-xorg-video-intel"? 2.3.2 should already be installed. If it
isn't, that's odd. If it is, try using the version from Squeeze, 2.9.1.

To use a mix of packages from stable/testing/unstable, look into apt
pinning.

Jamon