Adding xorg from unstable to existing stable - Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 12 16:01:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:14:42PM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
> I have determined the problem with my graphics is that the xorg drivers
> in lenny (Debian stable) are version 1.4.2 from Xorg and the drivers in
> 1.4.2 don't come close to supporting my hardware but I know for sure that
> the 2.12.0 drivers (which are in unstable) definitely do.
>
> The page: http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel.html
> says that 2.12.0 is in unstable and 2.3.2-2+lenny8 is in stable.  2.3.2
> might solve my problem, but I just did an apt-get update and upgrade, but
> it didn't go near updating xorg (it only did 6 packages).

The version of xorg is not the same as the version of
xserver-xorg-video-intel.  xorg is modular and the version of xorg is
not the same as the version of the drivers.

> How would I get that 2.3.2-2+lenny8 version to see if it works?  If not,
> how can I install a subset of packages from unstable without moving
> completely to unstable?

Given you would have to pull in a new libc6, probably new udev which
requires a new kernel (minimum 2.6.27 for the current udev version),
the answer is that you can't.

Now if backports.debian.org happens to have built it for stable, then
you could use that.  Unfortunately, they have not.

So you have the choices:

Use vesa

Upgrade to testing instead (which has 2.9.1)

Upgrade to unstable instead (which has 2.12.0)

Upgrade to unstable instead and grab xserver-xorg-video-intel from
experimental (which has 2.13.0)

--
Len Sorensen