IPv4 to IPv6...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 15:18:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 11:06:16AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> PPPoE does NOT run on IPv4.  It runs on raw ethernet.
> I didn't say it did.  I said IPv4 PPPoE, in that the modems are
> configured to handle IPv4 only.  Unless I misread that article, they are
> modifying a WRT router to produce IPv6 over PPP.  Now, how does that
> IPv6 over PPP get to the ISP?  It connects to the ADSL modem (the same
> would work over cable modem) via IPv4, which then uses PPPoE to get to
> the ISP.

No it doesn't.  It connects to the ADSL modem using ethernet, and the
ethernet frames are sent to the ISP.  There is no IP of any kind involved
in moving PPP frames to the ISP.  PPP runs on layer2 frames, not layer3.

PPPoE goes from the router to the ISP.  Between the router and the ISP
it is just ethernet (temporarily transported over ATM over DSL by the
ADSL modem).  The modem knows nothing about PPP or IP unless it happens
to be a router as well.

So no, the modem is NOT configured for IPv4 because it doesn't even know
what IP is.

--
Len Sorensen