IPv4 to IPv6...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 16:06:27 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> No it doesn't.  It connects to the ADSL modem using ethernet, and the
> ethernet frames are sent to the ISP.  There is no IP of any kind involved
> in moving PPP frames to the ISP.  PPP runs on layer2 frames, not layer3.

Perhaps I'm being overly economical with words.  When you connect via
ADSL you are using IP over ethernet.  In my previous note, the ethernet
was assumed.  Now, that IP gets stuffed into PPPoE to the ISP.  This
might be described as layer 3 on layer 2 on layer 2, with PPPoE being
the extra layer 2.
> PPPoE goes from the router to the ISP.  Between the router and the ISP
> it is just ethernet (temporarily transported over ATM over DSL by the
> ADSL modem).  The modem knows nothing about PPP or IP unless it happens
> to be a router as well.
>
> So no, the modem is NOT configured for IPv4 because it doesn't even know
> what IP is.

Perhaps I should have said ADSL service.  Right now, with most ISPs
you'd have a tough time passing IPv6 traffic, because all the equipment
is not configured to handle it.  If Teksavvy had their own DSLAMs in the
Bell CO, then it would be easier for them to provide IPv6 support
(they'd also avoid Bell throttling), as PPP, including PPPoE will
support almost any packet based protocol.  The big problem is how the
various devices are configured.  When you have an ADSL connection, the
equipment commonly used is expecting IPv4 and nothing else.  Will the
basic ADSL modem, as provided by Bell etc., support multiple protocols?
Or will it filter out those other protocols? (I realize D.H.R. has a
basic ethernet ADSL modem)  What about the equipment back at the C.O.?
The DSLAM shelves I've worked with supported only IPv4 (It's been about
5 years since I've worked on a DSLAM in a C.O., but I have worked on
others, in corporate networks more recently.  I have also worked with
SHDSL gear, TSUs and short haul microwave that didn't care, as they were
were configured as an ethernet bridge.).  Hopefully equipment suppliers
are starting to take the hint, as I've seen some consumer level routers
that now support IPv6, as does Cisco gear.  Last time I was talking to
an Adtran engineer, it was still "in development" with no target dates.
On the cable modem side, DOCSIS 3 supports IPv6 as part of the standard
and there's an update for DOCSIS 2.  Will Rogers provide an update for
my modem?  Or will I have to buy a new one?

However, even when the equipment supports IPv6, the ISPs and carriers
also have to get off their butts.  A few months ago, I was talking to a
hosting site manager for a major ISP/telecom and he said they had no
plans for IPv6.  Teksavvy appears to be an exception to this and I
believe Telus is also working on setting up IPv6 support.