ups power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 16:15:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:27:20AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> My system take less than 1 minute to shut down. If the shut-down happens
> without my involvement, 3 minutes should be OK. If however I am away
> from my Linux box and I need to initiate a shutdown, save stuff I am
> working on, a 10 min window would be tolerable.

Pretty much all UPSs work with nut or apcupsd these days, which means you
get automatic shutdown when the battery level drops below a programmed
level (so setting it to shutdown when there is 3 minutes left on the
battery is handy.  it won't shutdown on a 5 second power loss, but will
for a longer one).

> I read a few comments online (from buyers) that the battery goes pretty
> fast as you stated, that's not comforting. Most of the other comments
> seem to be from people who just purchased the UPS and pretty much it's
> they typical omg it worked, I got it up and running in x minutes.
> Comments like that are useless =)
>
> I would love if someone actually pulled the plug on their UPS and
> reported back what happens, etc. their setup. I read one person complain
> about a APC UPS making a loud beeping noise every 30 sec and said do you
> really need that when you're in a blackout and trying to sleep.

If you have an APC and use apcupsd, you can in the config tell it to
silence the UPS.  It is entirely configurable.

--
Len Sorensen