ups power supply

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 17:04:38 UTC 2010

On 30 November 2010 11:15, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:27:20AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> My system take less than 1 minute to shut down. If the shut-down happens
>> without my involvement, 3 minutes should be OK. If however I am away
>> from my Linux box and I need to initiate a shutdown, save stuff I am
>> working on, a 10 min window would be tolerable.
>
> Pretty much all UPSs work with nut or apcupsd these days, which means you
> get automatic shutdown when the battery level drops below a programmed
> level (so setting it to shutdown when there is 3 minutes left on the
> battery is handy.  it won't shutdown on a 5 second power loss, but will
> for a longer one).
>
>> I read a few comments online (from buyers) that the battery goes pretty
>> fast as you stated, that's not comforting. Most of the other comments
>> seem to be from people who just purchased the UPS and pretty much it's
>> they typical omg it worked, I got it up and running in x minutes.
>> Comments like that are useless =)
>>
>> I would love if someone actually pulled the plug on their UPS and
>> reported back what happens, etc. their setup. I read one person complain
>> about a APC UPS making a loud beeping noise every 30 sec and said do you
>> really need that when you're in a blackout and trying to sleep.
>
> If you have an APC and use apcupsd, you can in the config tell it to
> silence the UPS.  It is entirely configurable.

You can also get out your soldering iron (or maybe just wire snippers)
and remove the beeper from the main board of the UPS, as a friend of
mine did this past weekend with two of his UPSes.  If you're not using
it with a computer (a phone system or video perhaps?) this may even be
necessary if you want it silent.  Be careful: the inside of a UPS is
much more likely to have high voltage points than the inside of a
regular computer.

Also, a note about batteries: as discussed, they're usually pretty
easy to replace when they die, and cost significantly less than
replacing the entire unit.  No soldering involved.  I've done this at
least once (my memory says twice, but I'm a little shaky on that), and
the after-market battery was better than the original battery was even
in its new state.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/