ups power supply

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 21:28:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 07:38:57AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>>>
>>> As a general rule, if you have a switch to select between 115 and 230V,
>>> then you do NOT have active PFC.  If you have no selector switch, then
>>> you probably do.
>>>

>> wow getting a basic UPS is more complicated and expensive than I
>> figured, will have to do more reading up on it. thanks for the info!
>
> Exactly.  Rather painful when you want one, but don't really want to
> spend that kind of money.
>
> The cyberpower PP1500SWT2 is the cheapest 1500VA (1000W) I have found,
> which is $350 at greytech.com and claims 3 minutes at full load, 11
> minutes at half load.  Well cheapest with pure sinewave output.

$350 is well over 300% what I was planning on paying. It's a steep
price to pay, if the battery life is only a few years and my stuff is
not mission critical. It's more cheaper to buy a 2nd drive and simply
backup my data. My only concerns are a HD crash or data corruption.

3 min on a full load is not enough time to shut down a system properly
imho, 10 min sounds reasonable. From this discussion, I am thinking I
don't want to drop $100 for something that sucks as a UPS. Anything
higher I don't want to consider right now.