ups power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 22:13:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:28:23PM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> $350 is well over 300% what I was planning on paying. It's a steep
> price to pay, if the battery life is only a few years and my stuff is
> not mission critical. It's more cheaper to buy a 2nd drive and simply
> backup my data. My only concerns are a HD crash or data corruption.
>
> 3 min on a full load is not enough time to shut down a system properly
> imho, 10 min sounds reasonable. From this discussion, I am thinking I
> don't want to drop $100 for something that sucks as a UPS. Anything
> higher I don't want to consider right now.

Well that is pretty much why I haven't got one for the last machine in
the house yet.

Now it is unlikely you will be pulling full load (1000W), so the 10
minute range is much more likely.

I am not sure how wrong your machine setup has to be to make shutdown
take 3 minutes.

But as I said earlier, if your power supply has a switch to select the
voltage, then there are lots of power supplies for less money you can buy.
It's for machine with high efficiency power supplies that you need a
good UPS.  And it is the electronics in the UPS you are paying for,
not really the battery and hence runtime.

--
Len Sorensen