ups power supply

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 28 06:53:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 01:48:22PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Running two computers and two screens would probably require a 1000
> to 1500VA range UPS depending on the power requirements of the two
> computers.  You aren't likely to get more than 10 to 15 minutes run
> time either with a load like that unless you buy something very big
> and expensive (which probably requires more than a 15A outlet then).

  I'm happy with 5 to 10 minutes.  My main problem isn't extended power
outages, but 2 or 3 second outages that reboot the computer.  A few days
ago we had moderately high winds in the GTA that brought down tree
branches, which took down some power lines.  Twice that evening, the
lights flickered on-and-off in my condo, while hydro power got rerouted.
Those flickers would've rebooted my system.  The UPS did its job.  Each
time the lights flickered, I heard it click in and out.

  I have my LCD monitor plugged in to the UPS.  It's kind of hard to do
a manual shut down without a screen <G>.  The LCD monitor also provides
faint illumination while I run to the bedroom and fetch my flashlight.