ups power supply

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 22:39:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:04:38PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
>> You can also get out your soldering iron (or maybe just wire snippers)
>> and remove the beeper from the main board of the UPS, as a friend of
>> mine did this past weekend with two of his UPSes.  If you're not using
>> it with a computer (a phone system or video perhaps?) this may even be
>> necessary if you want it silent.  Be careful: the inside of a UPS is
>> much more likely to have high voltage points than the inside of a
>> regular computer.
>
> At least the APC Smart-UPS have a config option for it that you can set
> with a computer and save in the eeprom of the UPS.  So you can change
> the behaviour without permanent damage.
>
>> Also, a note about batteries: as discussed, they're usually pretty
>> easy to replace when they die, and cost significantly less than
>> replacing the entire unit.  No soldering involved.  I've done this at
>> least once (my memory says twice, but I'm a little shaky on that), and
>> the after-market battery was better than the original battery was even
>> in its new state.
>
> Certainly worth doing.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
> --

I'll check out the APC units, about battery replacement, I am assuming
you need to have the tower ones =)

I had another one of those 1 sec power outage and it shutdown my
system. So it looks like I will need to get one or risk damage to my
system if this continues. I wish those things would go on sale
already!

Thank for all the feedback everyone.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1