ups power supply

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 28 16:03:54 UTC 2010

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Running two computers and two screens would probably require a 1000 to
| 1500VA range UPS depending on the power requirements of the two computers.
| You aren't likely to get more than 10 to 15 minutes run time either
| with a load like that unless you buy something very big and expensive
| (which probably requires more than a 15A outlet then).

I was casually looking at UPS units at a Tiger Direct yesterday.  All
the boxes give VA (Volt Ampere) ratings so you can figure out how many
devices to hook up.  But none seemed to give Watt hour ratings.  They
gave stupid claims like "will run devices up to half an hour" which is
no rating at all.

How do you tell what a UPS's deliverable energy capacity is?  Is UPS
behaviour more complicated than my simple model: it can deliver so
many Watt hours when fully charged?