What's your Favourite Webmail Client

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 10 02:26:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 17:49, Andrej Marjan <amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 05:18:14PM -0500, Fabio FZero wrote:
>> Gmail.
>
>> Really. I don't even use regular mailers anymore. Just set it to work
>> with IMAP and that's it.
>
> How do you follow threaded discussions on high volume mailing lists?
> Seriously.
>
> I'd been misled by all the false claims out there that gmail does
> threading, and was sorely disappointed to discover that conversations
> are not threads. Even on smallish threads (say about two dozen emails,
> with reasonable branching), I have a hard time figuring out who's
> replying to whom. Especially with top posting (where the quoting is
> hidden) or with no quoting.
>
> So how do you do it?

Well, while Gmail encourages top posting, you're not forced to do it.
Here I am replying at the bottom. :-)

I don't know what you're doing there, but threading just works(tm)
here. Your message is neatly grouped with all the other replies.

Answering your question, I just let Gmail handle most of it
automagically. I add a bit of filtering to keep things organized --
for instance, making all discussion lists skip the Inbox and receive
corresponding labels -- but that's it. The priority inbox only made
thing more interesting, but I'm still "training" it (and it can be
turned off anyway).

I used to subscribe lists with MUCH more traffic than TLUG, and that's
where Gmail shined even more. Since the labels are *not* folders --
i.e., a single message can have lots of labels -- I used some smart
filtering to guess to a pretty good extent which ones were the
messages worth reading and which could be thrown out without regrets.

I wrote a post about this on my blog, but it's in portuguese; maybe
it's time to translate it. This would also be a good theme for a
lightning talk.

(BTW, why don't we do that in one of the TLUG meetings? It certainly
would be interesting. We could follow the O'Reilly ignite model:
http://ignite.oreilly.com).

- Fabio