What's your Favourite Webmail Client

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 10 19:37:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:26:55PM -0500, Fabio FZero wrote:

> Well, while Gmail encourages top posting, you're not forced to do it.
> Here I am replying at the bottom. :-)

> I don't know what you're doing there, but threading just works(tm)
> here. Your message is neatly grouped with all the other replies.

I think what I'm really asking is, what's the gmail analogue of the
sorts of structural patterns described at
http://joey.kitenet.net/blog/entry/thread_patterns/

Note that the tree structure there is what's generally accepted as
"threading". Gmail's stack of pancakes UI doesn't present the same
structural information.

That sort of thing lets me ignore certain high volume lists for weeks at
a time and then batch process the backlog with a minimum of time and
effort.

Gmail seems to just flatten stuff out with its card metaphor, so I don't
see where to recover any sort of structure (such as, in the banal case,
who's replying to whom in a thread of a couple dozen emails). I'm
obviously missing something.

> I wrote a post about this on my blog, but it's in portuguese; maybe
> it's time to translate it. This would also be a good theme for a
> lightning talk.

That would be very interesting, to me at least.