Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 20:27:52 UTC 2010

Sounds like an advert for ..... Linux Mint ? :)

But seriously, that is exactly why i use Mint - its Debian and Ubuntu done right (no fixed release, waits for the bugs to be flushed out) for the final user, with all the "illegal" multimedia already in it (due to it being produced in the free world :) ).

I tried arch, as Dann from TLLTS raves on it. It was a easy install, even thou it was power user based.
But I had no luck getting all the great codec support for it. If it proved rock solid for servers? may
be usefull. It seems since slack is sort of dead (how much can 1-2 guys do after all), slackers are adopting
 arch as the next poweruser (bragging rights) distro. My experience was, I would need many more hours to get
arch to what Mint was out of the box, and mint restricts me in no real way, giving me all the goodness of
debian and ubuntu, all be it 2-6 weeks after said ubuntu release.

Now that I am so happy with Mint, my big ? these days (in the Linux world) is, do I try KDE again. Like many I jumped off it when they f'd up so bad (see even Linus rant), but I am thinking it may be worth trying again, as
gnome is maybe a bit "too simple". Anyone gone back to kde lately and loving it? would be interested in
hearing.

tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>