Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 19:39:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:17:11PM -0300, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:
> Won't discuss with you about it anymore... You'll always say that debian is
> better... but if you read the topic, this is not the point here...

Debian could be improved.  Releases take forever, some transitions are
a mess (but fortunately only affect testing and unstable), and some
arguments between developers are nuts.

> I do respect Debian as a distro... and all the others.. But, if you can't
> respect other distros, like Arch, I'm sorry... I won't ask you to. I'm just
> sorry.
>
> If Arch is so bad as you say... why do they have users?

Why does VisualBasic have so many users?  Because people believe the
claims and don't know any better (many will eventually learn, some won't).

As I said.  If they stated _honestly_ up front what the distribution
was really about, I would respect it.

> Everyday I can see people saying that Ubuntu is terrible.. ubuntu is xxxx...
> I don't so.. I just ask myself... Why do they have more users? o.O

Ubuntu tries to make a good distribution that is easy to install and does
what most people want out of the box with minimal effort.  They mostly
succeed at that.  On the other hand they also aim to provide releases on
a fixed schedule.  That ruins it.  It is buggy, upgrades fail or break
the machine, and can be a big nightmare.  Fixed schedules do that.
Of course if they didn't do that, perhaps they would just be plain
old Debian.

> Anyway.. I'm done on this thread...
>
> have fun with debian and fanaticism. ;]

I am not a fanatic by any means.  I just have enough experience to know
when things are going in the wrong direction.  Well at least I think
they are the wrong direction.  My goals are to do it right (that being
the best possible way) and only doing it once (which means only one person
having to do something rather than everybody having to do something).
I like efficiency because I am lazy.  I don't want to do repetetive
boring stuff.

--
Len Sorensen