Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 20:38:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:27:52PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> Sounds like an advert for ..... Linux Mint ? :)
>
> But seriously, that is exactly why i use Mint - its Debian and Ubuntu done right (no fixed release, waits for the bugs to be flushed out) for the final user, with all the "illegal" multimedia already in it (due to it being produced in the free world :) ).

I have not yet looked at mint, but it does sound like a decent idea.
I do personally have the issue of too many architectures of hardware
around, and Debian is probably the only thing that runs on all of them.

> I tried arch, as Dann from TLLTS raves on it. It was a easy install, even thou it was power user based.
> But I had no luck getting all the great codec support for it. If it proved rock solid for servers? may
> be usefull. It seems since slack is sort of dead (how much can 1-2 guys do after all), slackers are adopting
>  arch as the next poweruser (bragging rights) distro. My experience was, I would need many more hours to get
> arch to what Mint was out of the box, and mint restricts me in no real way, giving me all the goodness of
> debian and ubuntu, all be it 2-6 weeks after said ubuntu release.
>
> Now that I am so happy with Mint, my big ? these days (in the Linux world) is, do I try KDE again. Like many I jumped off it when they f'd up so bad (see even Linus rant), but I am thinking it may be worth trying again, as
> gnome is maybe a bit "too simple". Anyone gone back to kde lately and loving it? would be interested in
> hearing.

I do run kde at the moment (just checking the icon at the bottom of the
screen... yeah it has a K on a blue thingy, must be kde).  Current version
seems fine.  No problems lately.

Of course all I expect from the desktop envinronment is:

Manage my windows, letting me alt+tab between them, minimize, maximize
and resize them.  alt+f2 should ask me which command to run.

That's it.  I don't need anymore.  I don't want a graphical filemanager
or yet another web browser or any other silly thing like that.

--
Len Sorensen