Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 15:25:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:40:35AM -0300, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:
> That's true Lennart.
>
> That's why I didn't say that Arch is better.. or ubuntu is better...
>
> As I said (and you agree) depends on how do you use your system.
>
> You said you do like to try new distros and new package managements. Well,
> did you try Arch? You should try it. It's a nice distro and I'm sure you
> will not be disappointed with our package manager (pacman). It's really
> good. I'm also an Debian fan. I'm an network administrator and all the
> servers here (company) are running Debian. But in my laptop I do prefer
> Arch.Give it a chance. ;]

Having just read the installation instructions, it reminds me too much
of installing SLS (the first distribution I ever installed).  Way too
much manual work which shouldn't be necesary.

I think I fundamentally disagree with the premise.  Certainly the
description of "The Arch Way", makes me not even want to try installing
it in a KVM session.  Their aim is wrong.  I have no need to go back to
the way things were 17 years ago.  Anyone thinking modern distributions
(of which apparently Arch Linux is NOT one) are too complex simply
doesn't understand how they work and hence would not be able to make a
better system.  Simpler is not better.  Simpler is just simpler.

To me the key of a distribution is:
Don't make me (and ever other user) do something trivial that the package
maintainer (who knows the package better than most of the users) could
have already done automatically.  It is inefficient and a waste of time.
This is not to say that you should do what windows does and make it
imposible for the user to get at the details and do it themselves if
they want to.

Also I don't believe in optimizing for i686, given the amount of hardware
I have that won't run that.  Never mind being x86 only (which would also
be a big problem for me).

--
Len Sorensen