Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 14:33:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:17:36AM -0300, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:
> It depends..
>
> I'm an Arch user. I love this distro and it's performance. If you're an user
> who understands your system and knows which services should be running,
> etc... you won't have this kind of problem with any distro you want.
>
> For example.. For default Arch is faster than almost every distro. Why?
> Because it comes with almost nothing. YOU, and nobody else, will choose what
> to install.. services, modules, etc...

Debian does the same.  A base install has nothing but a base system.
A distribution would have to come up with one incredibly good packaging
system to make ot move away from debian.  Every distribution change I have
done over the years has been to move to a system with a better package
manager and better quality.  I have stuck with Debian for 11 years now.
I am sure some day I will move to something even better, but I haven't
seen anything even approach it yet.

> After install almost everything the system will start to be less faster.
>
> This new version of ubuntu is much more fast then the others. That's a fact.
> But in my case, I do still prefer my Arch. After the whole system is up and
> running (including GUI) Arch still faster IF you don't install a lot of
> services and modules unnecessary.

Maybe gcc 4.5 is actually an improvement.  Or maybe the newer kernel is.

As for not installing things you don't need, well of course.  That should
be true of any distribution.  Some just have better default choices
than others.

> As I said.. I don't really trust this kind of article sayind that distro X
> is faster or better than distro Y. It's ALWAYS up to you. You are the user.
> If you can control and configure your system as you want.. your system will
> be perfect for your needs.

This particular article seems to show very clearly that they are the
same speed, as any person with a clue would have expected.

--
Len Sorensen