Display Dimming When I Don't Want It To

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 19 13:55:32 UTC 2010

> Subject: [TLUG]: Display Dimming When I Don't Want It To
> From: cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:11:56 -0400
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently updated to Lucid on my laptop and for some reason when I
> increase the brightness of my screen it just ramps down to minimum by
> itself again. Not sure if this has something to do with Gnome Power
> Manager. I made sure the settings look ok. It should only dim on low
> battery but this is happening when on AC power. My laptop , an Asus, has
> a light sensor that should set display brightness by itself. Maybe that
> is interfering. If so it doesn't work properly because changing the
> light level on the sensor doesn't seem to affect the display brightness.
> The icon for brightness shows I am full brightness even though I am
> actually at minimum brightness. Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Jim

I've noticed some dimming also, but mainly with the OO spreadsheet. The visible cells dim, almost turn into a purplish hue, and won't brighten again. That never happened before the upgrade.

A more annoying problem is that I can't switch users more than once, it seems. If I switch back to the original user, the entire screen turns black and the login window is not visible. It's still there (sometimes you can see a vague outline and the cursor changes shape when rolled over the input section), but noting will bring it back except to go to a console screen and restart or kill processes. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does nothing. I think there's a bug listed for it already. Now I have to log off, then log on to a different user. And you can only log off if you know their password.

John.